Working at Strawderman as a Camp Counselor
Expectations: All Strawderman counselors must have a love for children, the great outdoors, and an authentic rustic experience. In addition, counselors must be female, 18 years of age or older, and capable of teaching and supervising with enthusiasm and creativity one or more camp activities on a daily basis. At Strawderman, we impress upon all candidates the honorable duty our counselors have to nurture, inspire, teach, to be role models, and to lead by example the children in their care. To be a Strawderman counselor is a great responsibility. We believe it is an even greater privilege. In fact, Camp Strawderman leaves such an indelible imprint that many Strawderman campers come back as counselors! And though it may be one of the toughest jobs you’ll ever have, it is also one of the most rewarding. Because, in addition to building a lifetime of memories for yourself and the young girls in your care, you’ll also develop strong leadership and management skills that will help you stand out from the crowd when preparing for a career and presenting your resume.
Requirements: To qualify for the position of counselor, you will be required to:
- Commit to the full length of stay agreed upon
- Supervise your campers whenever they are in the cabin
- Participate fully in the life, ethos, and spirit of Camp Strawderman
- Adhere to the ideals promoted and traditions cultivated at Strawderman
- Teach one of the many activities offered to campers for at least four hours a day
- Be willing to help out where needed
- Eat all your meals with your assigned cabin group
- Sleep in your assigned cabin in a counselor’s room, attached to the campers’ room.
- Share the counselor’s room with your assigned co-counselor
- Hold yourself to the highest standards and set an example for the young campers in your charge who, looking up to you, will follow your lead.
Next Steps: All new counselor candidates must fill out an application and be interviewed. If you think you’ve got what it takes to be a stellar Strawderman camp counselor, please apply! We look forward to meeting you and working with you this summer.
To All International Candidates: Camp Strawderman is very interested in broadening the experience of each camper and staff member through diversity and exposure to different cultures. To that end, we welcome and encourage experienced young women from the international community to become part of our community as camp counselors. Apply today! We look forward to meeting you!
To learn more about available positions, contact our director.